A look inside yourself
As I slammed the bedroom door and flung myself across the bed, I muttered those awful words, “I hate you. I hate you.” My emotions tore at me. I steamed. I screamed. I muttered a big protest against whatever it was that had triggered this meltdown.
What Was Wrong?
That scenario happened a lot. I couldn’t seem to control my emotions. And the real reason was that I wanted to get my own way. Yes, every time, that was the trigger.
I wanted control — big time.
Even after saying yes to Jesus, I still acted this way (but less frequently) and reacted to anything that didn’t fit “in the plan”.
But slowly, after years of reading scripture, studying in groups, asking God to help me, I found the peace I needed and things started to change for the better.
Listen to 2 Corinthians 5:17 in The Message,
Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life burgeons! Look at it!
A fresh start. That’s what finally happened.
Today as I reviewed this scripture as a New Year’s planning tool, I said, “look inside”. What is God speaking to me about?
Since I am united with Jesus — He will speak to me, lead me and give me God-incidents so I can do His will. My job is to be aware and go where He says and do what He says.
I started to think — “look inside me”. What lives there?
Me — my emotions, my will, my thoughts.
Jesus — His patience, His power, and His healing.
Which one will it be in each situation?
Dealing With Temptations
I thought of the temptations of Jesus. One version is in Matthew 4:1–11.
Satan tempted the human side of Jesus but the God-side was stronger.
Yes, I do have a God-side in me. I need that side to be stronger to battle Satan’s temptations and I can do that because Jesus lives in me.
Dealing With Being Overwhelmed
Then I thought of how Jesus — God and man, dealt with exhausting situations and I looked at Mark 6:31in The Message:
Jesus said, “Come off by yourselves; let’s take a break and get a little rest.” For there was constant coming and going. They didn’t even have time to eat.
When the human side of Jesus got tired, He knew to go away to a quiet spot and renew His strength and allow the God-side to strengthen Him.
You have a God-side too
If you are a new creature in Christ, if you said yes to Jesus and committed to following Him, then you have a God-side too. Christ lives in you and me. When your humanness threatens to overwhelm you — seek God right away. find a quiet spot and renew.
It’s tough not to act out in our humanness. I know. Our flesh feels threatened — the anger, the pain, and the frustration. But we also have a God-side that can overcome this with the peace, the healing and the power of Jesus.
Six ways that I have found that have helped me find my God-Side
- Know Jesus well. Get to know Him better and better each day. He is a great teacher and if you are practising before something happens it will be easier to hear His voice and act in a godly way.
- Seek quietness. I know that some people love to have their music on, and chatter around them. But we also need space — time alone. Time to think, contemplate and hear His voice. If you are in a situation where you are acting totally in your own skin — then break away. I use the washroom — as a quiet spot. Breathe. Listen.
3. Relinquish control. Oh I have trouble with that one. It keeps rearing its ugly head. But if I practice doing it, it becomes easier. I’m never advocating that you let someone brow beat you or say anything negative to you. But I am saying that we don’t always need to be right. (or think we are) And certainly if God is speaking — let Him speak.
4. Call out to Jesus. That works. He is always there. So use His name and ask Him for help in dealing with the situation. Whether you pray out loud or quietly to yourself — He will hear you.
5. Pray scripture. Use God’s words and pray the scripture back to Him.
Here is one example of how I prayed scripture:How God Can Clearly Show You Who You are
Day 19 in 31 Days of Five Minute Free Writes — prompt is “who”medium.com
6. Listen carefully to your God-side. Some people call it conscience. But if you are a believer you will really hear what God is saying if you listen. You will see God-incidents in your daily lives.
May I pray for you and me?
Lord Jesus, You came as a Babe — both God and man. You taught us much when you lived on earth. But You also paid the extreme price to allow us to have the Holy Spirit reside in us to be our God-side. Teach us more and more as we study your Word and pray. In Your name, Jesus, we pray. Amen.
Don't miss a single word. Get Publishous Magazine delivered directly to your inbox each week for FREE!
Please complete the form below and you will receive the next episode directly to the email address you provide.